5/21/20

Prince: Faithful WWI Dog


Prince became famous after traveling many miles to be with his beloved master at the frontlines of France during the First World War.




In September 1914, Private James Brown joined the war, leaving behind his wife and his dog Prince (a half Irish terrier half collie mix.) That following November, Prince disappeared. Brown's wife searched for the missing dog, but when he was nowhere to be found, she wrote a letter to her husband about the unfortunate news.

Shortly after receiving his wife's letter, about 4-5 days after the dog's disappearance, Prince was once again by his master's side. According to a soldier's letter in a museum magazine, "Here the unexpected happened for on that day Prince's old master, also passing through and seeing a dog which looked very much like his own, called to him and was quickly assured that it was none other than the old friend of the Battalion." Prince managed to make his way from Hammersmith, London to the trenches in northern France.

Prince became the mascot to Brown's regiment, as well as a ratter, and continued to stay after Brown returned home. At the end of the war, the RSPCA reunited the dog with his master. Prince passed away a couple of years later in 1921.

Prince's story is recorded in a 1917 poem A Soldier's Dog written by Captain Newell, who sadly died during an airstrike in 1918:

And did you think you had left me Master,
Was it a kindly thing to do?
You tied me up in the yard for safety,
But did you think I was leaving you?
I s'pose when a man leaves a dog behind him,
He sort o' thinks that the brute won't mind,
But let me tell you that's not dog nature,
Which is altogether a different kind.

You might'nt know that I loved you Master,
The news may come as a small surprise,
But it was fact, and you could have seen it
When you looked deep down in my eyes.
For you were good, you were kind, you fed me,
Did'nt get riled at a doggies whim,
Nor lift your foot as I've heard some men do,
So I told myself, I'll stick to him.

I saw you don your uniform Master,
Soon to be off on the march again,
I thought it prime to be going with you,
But you stooped and put me on the chain.
I strove to tell you I was heart broken.
I talked, I'm sorry to say I growled,
I pleaded as plain as if words were spoken,
But off you went and I stayed - and howled.

The very next day they released me Master,
And away I bolted like a shot.
You I wanted - the missus might miss me
Little I cared if she did or not.
Off I ran till I met some soldiers
Marching along to take the train,
I fell in line, for if I kept with them
I felt dead sure to meet you again.

A funny old tyke they called me Master,
But I was as nice as I could be.
I wagged my tail to them most politely
And so they smuggled me o'er the sea.
It made me ill, I was rather frightened
On the water and out in the fog,
But I kept pretending I was happy
Bucking up like a soldier's dog.

I did'nt feel safe on landing Master,
Though deuced glad to smell earth once more.
I sneaked at night time adown the gangway,
To wag my tail on a foreign shore.
I followed the men where they were camping.
Some of them gave me my grub to eat,
And when for the front the train-load started
There was your humble under the seat.

And so I came to the trenches Master
Searching for you, Sir, just the same.
Then some-one took a look at my collar,
And there behold was my master's name.
So then at last they brought me near you,
And set me down without a remark.
I could'nt keep my tail from wagging,
And how you jumped when you heard me bark.

This is'nt Hammersmith is it Master?
The shot and shell make a rare to do.
But look in my eyes and see I'm happy,
Anywhere's home along o' you,
Take me with you out to the trenches,
Out in the shots, the mud, the rain.
I wont worry, whatever happens.
Only - don't leave me again.